Custom Picture Frames
Be your own designer with our online custom picture framing service. At Frameshop, we created Australia's first online framing service with live previews of the frames you create. You get to see your designs as they happen and tweak it until you have the perfect frame for your art, photos or memorabilia. Frameshop (or more locally known as A&H Frameshop) has been professionally making picture frames for over 25 years. We hand make all our frames in our Sydney based showroom and factory, and ship them Australia wide. We also sell discounted photo frames at standard sizes.
Our custom picture frames can be as simple or as complex as you choose. We give you the tools to create the perfect picture frame for your piece. Whether it is a limited edition artwork, or a simple family photo. Frameshop makes all frames to order within our Sydney based factory, and use the highest quality materials to achieve the best finished products. Be sure to contact us for suggestions on your framing, all advice and quotations are free!
Materials and Features
Our custom picture frames can be designed to contain many combinations of the following features.
- Professionally made frames
- Customisable to any size
- Shipping Australia wide
- All frames sourced from Australian suppliers
- Range of timbers and synthetics available
- (Default) Clear Glass 2mm
- Non-Reflective Glass 2mm
- Clear Acrylic Perspex 2mm
- 94% UV Resistant
- As clear as glass
- Highly durable, will not shatter
- UV Clear Glass 2.5mm
- UV Non-Reflective Glass 2.5mm
- Large range of colours
- All matboards are acid free
- Slips (Double Frames)
How to order a custom picture frame online
We aim to keep this as simple, but as deep as possible. With our frame creator you can create a large variety of custom frames with millions of possible combinations. It helps having a guide to achieve what you want, we will aim to make this the most comprehensive online framing guide. The following guide will cover most cases of a custom picture frame and will explain the recommended options.
- Enter your photo or artwork size, then click on Add a Frame:
- If your photo or artwork is a standard size, you can find it in our list above.
- Our system will build all your selections around your photo size. Please keep in mind that frames will overlap the entered size by about 4-6mm on all sides. Matboards will do the same by about 3-5mm. The 'Visible' size is an approximation of the area including this overlap, please note that if you require a particular visible size we must be notified. Also the overlap amount will vary based on sizes and selections.
- Select a frame, you can always change this as you go.
- To view different sets of frames, select a colour set from the dropdown list.
- (Optional) Select a matboard:
- You can choose from a variety of colours to suit your frame and artwork.
- We offer double mats too.
- Be sure to select the thickness you would like the border to be.
A (very) general rule is to match the frame width or keep it in ratio.
The frame will overlap approximately 4mm on all sides of the border.
- (Optional) Select a backing:
- By default you will receive 3mm MDF.
- Foamcore is an acid free product that will protect your pictures from colour
is also lighter than MDF.
We recommend using foamcore for most works. Use non-adhesive for original artworks/certificates.
- (Optional) Select a glass type:
- The default glass type is 2mm Clear Glass.
- Non Reflective should be used in areas with lots of potential glare from natural or artificial light sources.
- UV Resistant Glass should be used for frames that will face direct sunlight.
- Perspex is highly recommended as it is durable, light and comes with 94% UV Resistance. It looks the same as clear glass and will not fade or become cloudy over time.
There are many other customisations that you can do, these 5 main steps will cover most cases, if you feel you need more specific alterations and cannot achieve it online, contact us and we will have a solution for you.
Printing and framing your own photo in one easy place
Displaying your favourite pictures on your wall has never been easier. We've simplified the process to 3 easy steps. Click on the 'Upload Image' button above to choose a photo and you'll be guided through all the options available, with a live preview showing what your printed and finished product will look like. We have a large variety of mats and frames to suit any wall so we'd love for you to get creative! As with all our services, if you have any issues or queries don't hesitate to contact us.
What is the difference between a custom picture frame and a photo frame?
In short, not a whole lot! These two terms came about through industry trends and what they have meant has changed over time. Our definitions (that agrees with the more widely accepted meanings) are:
Photo Frames: Standard Size frames used to hold photographs or images. Generally these will stand on tables but commonly include the option of hanging. Matboards can be added to a photo frame optionally.
Picture Frames: Any size frame used to display photographs, images, artworks and other memorabilia. Picture frames usually contain matboards and alternative backings such as foamcore for conservation of artworks. Larger amounts of customisations such as depth can be made with a picture frame.
The line between these terms is quite blurry, but we'll aim to keep it simple based on your needs. Many framers and companies have their own definitions, and some will interchange the terms freely, so it can be quite difficult to differentiate the two. The best way to find what you are after is to look at what you are framing, then make a decision from there. If it is small portraits of your family to go on your desk; cheaper photo frames will suffice. If you are framing an original artwork or large poster, a custom picture frame will likely suit and help achieve your goals. Regardless of your choice, we offer both at professionally made standards and are more than happy to help you choose the correct frame for anything you might want to put in there. Contact us to discuss your options and we'll always be able to work something out for you!
We aim to ship our custom frames within 2 business days of the order coming through. Please note printing, matting and mounting options will add 1-2 business days to the production time. Depending on the location and size of the order shipping times can vary greatly, if you require anything urgently please contact us.
If you are not completely satisfied with the quality of the product you purchase from Frameshop, you may return it within 7 days of the receiving date, for a full refund for the price of the product.
All expenses associated with transportation of returns are the responsibility of the customer.
If you have made the wrong choice of frame or size, please contact us to negotiate a solution.
You can choose between a refund, exchange or credit where goods are received damaged. Please retain all packing materials and product.
Please send an email in advance before returning suspected damaged items, as we may be able to rectify the problem.
Glass can not be replaced as it won't make it on its own. Instead we can offer refund of glass price charged and you may obtain one locally or we can send a piece of clear acrylic (Perspex). The clear acrylic is durable and travels to any destination without the risk of breakage. Once it is in the frame there is no visible difference between the acrylic and clear glass. Our acrylic is of a very high quality and will not distort or become cloudy.